Happy Tuesday, people of Austin! Here’s everything you need to know about what’s happening today.
First, today’s weather:
Clouds and sun with a shower. High: 91 Low: 74.
Here are the top stories in Austin today:
- Sports fans were recently invited to “help design the look of the new home court” for “the brand-new Moody Center” in Austin. Coaches Chris Beard and Vic Schaefer helped pull “together the top entries to generate the final court design.” The winners will receive complimentary tickets to this season’s Texas Men & Women’s Basketball home games. “In addition,” the new Moody Center court will be permanently replicated as part of a public outdoor court refurbishment in the Austin area, funded by Truist, the Official Bank Sponsor of Texas Athletics and Official Partner of Moody Center. “For more information click HERE and visit: (TexasSports.com)
- According to the US News & World Report, “The Austin school district’s Liberal Arts and Science Academy” is one of the best high schools on “the 2022 list of top public high schools.” The ranking was “based on factors such as graduation rates, how students perform on state assessments, the proportion of 12th graders who get qualifying scores on Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams and the performance of Black, Hispanic and low-income students.” For more information and for details on the rest of the schools on the annual list, please visit: (Subscription: Austin American-Statesman)
- This week is Teacher Appreciation Week and to honor all educators, “Whataburger is offering teachers across the country free breakfast” all week long! The free offer is available from 5-9 am from May 2-7, and a school ID card is required to receive the free offer. In addition, teachers can get “a 25 percent discount on merchandise through the Whatastore” by using the online discount code WHATARTEACHER22. “For more details visit: (KXAN.com)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. Did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that provides protection both online and off? It’s called Ring Alarm Pro, a DIY home security system that includes a built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router.
To learn more about the security system that offers reliable physical and digital security in one innovative deviceor to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
- “Huge garage sale in the Rattan Creek neighborhood this coming weekend, May 6-7. Toys, clothes, equipment, home decor, furniture and so much more! For details see the announcement on the Nextdoor site.” (Nextdoor)
- “Join a neighbor of The Forest neighborhood for an evening of dinner, celebration, inspiring stories, worship, and giving. The event is free, but you need to RSVP at https://www.betterunite.com/forthecity. For details see the announcement on the Nextdoor site. ” (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
- Cinco de Mayo at Lucky Rabbit w / Código Tequila & Audic Empire (May 5)
- Hire A Pro to Tackle Mom’s To-Do List (May 8)
- Zoom meeting about deck repair in Austin, Texas (May 19)
- Add your event
You’re officially in the loop for today. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update!
– Gabriela Couvillion
About me: I’m an active mom of two grown sons and lifelong San Antonio resident. I received a BA in Spanish from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and in my free time I immerse myself in creative writing. Thanks for reading Patch, and feel free to reach out if you have any news and happenings you think may appeal to our readers!
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Austin Daily? Contact me at DowntownAustin@patch.com