Whether you are interviewing for a job or meeting someone new, everyone wants to make a good first impression. Your home is no different! What your house looks like on the outside lets passers-by know what to expect on the inside. With this in mind, it is important to decorate the exterior of your home in a way that is both stylish and personal.
Fortunately, it’s not as difficult as you might think to reinforce the curb of your home in as little as a weekend. Check out these four simple tips from the reliable design team at Sam Levitz Furniture to make the outside of your home look as good as the inside.
If you are looking for a quick and affordable way to give the exterior of your home a facelift, freshening up your front door is a great place to start. The front door of your home will determine how your entire courtyard feels. Because of this, it is a good idea to make sure it looks its best. Here are some ways to upgrade your front door in no time.
- Give it a new coat of paint (be sure to choose a color that complements the environment).
- Hang a wreath or seasonal door hanger to make your guests feel welcome.
- Replace your worn doormat with a fresh one to wipe your feet on before stepping inside.
- Place matching planters on each side of the door to make your entrance feel polished.
The decor of your porch affects not only how your home feels but also what it looks like. If your outdoor furniture shows signs of damage, including rust or broken upholstery, it’s time for an upgrade. Keep these tips in mind when looking for the right outdoor furniture.
- Select pieces which are comfortable.
- Do not be afraid to add colorful colors with bright pillows and decorative pillows.
- Choose furniture that is large enough to accommodate your family and guests without making your porch feel cluttered.
- Consider reusing worn outdoor furniture with a new coat of paint.
When it’s time to give your home exterior a little TLC, windows should not be an afterthought. Showing your windows a little love can instantly make your home look clean, modern and inviting. An easy way to enhance the windows at the front of your house is to add window boxes under them along with some colorful flowers. Similarly, adding shutters to bare windows or replacing old shutters with new ones can add a sophisticated touch to any home. Here are some tips to help your shutter suspension run as smoothly as possible.
- If you have a tight budget, consider buying vinyl doors instead of wood.
- Hang the shutters at the same height as the window frame.
- For shutters that you do not plan to close, stick to a width of 25% to 50% of the width of the window.
Just like the inside of your home, the outside should be a reflection of your unique style, personality and preferences. Do not be afraid to think outside the box to design a courtyard and a porch that is as beautiful and comfortable as playful and personal. Keep these fun ideas in mind to help you do just that.
- Add a yard flag with a message, sports team or picture that makes you happy.
- Hang a porch swing to create a relaxed place to visit with your friends and family.
- Show your house numbers in a surprising way, such as on picture frames hanging by the front door, potted plants by the street or bright tiles.
- Replace your regular mailbox with one that complements the style of your home’s exterior.
While some things can be easily done to increase the conviction of your home, there are some steps that should be avoided to make your home look and feel its best.
- Choosing inappropriate colors: You can not go wrong with a neutral color scheme for the exterior of your home, then accessories with light accents, such as pillows, rugs and potted flowers. If you feel strongly about adding a light shade to your house exterior, painting your front door in a bold color is a great way to make a statement that feels tasteful and balanced.
- Goes overboard: When it comes to decorating a yard that feels modern and stylish, there is too much to do. Instead of overwhelming your patio with a lot of furniture or lots of accessories, choose fewer parts that still look attractive and unique. If you are unsure of the right way to decorate with fewer parts, look for inspiration on a home decor website or in a magazine.
- Do not check with your HOA: If your area has a homeowners association, review their rules or check with the board before making significant, permanent changes to the look of your home.
- Does not work with a professional: Whether you have experience in home design, seeking the help of a professional interior designer, landscape architect, real estate agent or contractor can ensure that your home improvement project runs as smoothly, efficiently and affordably as possible. They are called professionals for a reason!
You deserve to have a beautiful home that you are proud to call your own. If the exterior of your house needs an upgrade, the experienced design experts at Sam Levitz Furniture are here to help you every step of the way. With our large selection of affordable outdoor furniture, accessories and home furnishings, you will not believe how easy it can be to lift your outdoor (and indoor) spaces. Visit us online or stay with one of ours four practical showrooms today! We can not wait to help you strengthen your home’s conviction in as little as a weekend!